Are you having trouble determining whether to buy a water softener or a reverse osmosis system? The decision can be tricky, but we’re here to answer your questions and help you purchase the best system for your needs.
What’s the Difference Between a Water Softener and a Reverse Osmosis System?
Reverse osmosis (RO) systems purify your water and water softeners reduce hardness in your water. RO systems use a semi-permeable membrane to filter your water, reducing contaminants and minerals, which are flushed down the drain. Water softeners use ion exchange to replace minerals that cause your water to be hard with sodium or potassium, making your water soft. RO systems are less efficient than water softeners, so they’re usually installed at a single point-of-use, like a kitchen sink, rather than used for the whole house.
Can I Use Both of These Systems?
Absolutely. The water softener will soften water throughout your home, providing benefits for your pipes, appliances, fixtures, skin and hair. The reverse osmosis system can be installed under a sink to provide purified water at a separate tap for drinking and cooking. Depending on what’s in your water, you may need an additional whole-house system to treat other contaminants.
What are the Benefits of Using a Water Softener?
- Clearly refreshing® water
- Water-using appliances last longer
- Dishes are cleaner
- Skin and hair are soft and silky
- Save money and time on cleaning
- Virtually eliminate water spots
- Prepared food and beverages taste better
What are the Benefits of Using a RO System?
- Better tasting water – RO systems reduce contaminants that can make your water taste or smell unpleasant.
- Environmentally-friendly – Enjoy bottled water quality without the plastic straight from your kitchen sink.
- Crystal clear water – contaminants are flushed down the drain, leaving you with pure water.
- Healthier water – RO systems reduce contaminants that are associated with a variety of health problems.
What Makes Puronics Water Softeners Different?
Puronics bacteriostatic water softeners incorporate SilverShield® Protection, which is based on NASA technology and inhibits the growth of bacteria. Puronics Chlorostatic™ water softeners reduce chlorine and chloramine as well as soften your water. Our systems also utilize the advanced technology of the iGen®… the valve so smart it does the thinking for you to monitor your water to optimize water quality and operating efficiency.
How can I Purchase a System?
If you know what system you want, you can request a quote or contact your nearest dealer. If you’re not sure, and you’d like to get your water tested to find out what’s in it, you can request a free water test. We can also do a free water treatment consultation, and you’ll receive a personalized quote based on our recommendation.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us today! We’re happy to assist you with your water treatment needs.